The National Sleep Foundation is celebrating its annual Sleep Awareness Week from March 6th through to March 13th, to raise awareness for the health benefits of sleep and its importance to safety and productivity.
Here are 7 tips for better sleep;
1) Start the week by making time for the sleep your mind and body needs. Most adults need 7 to 9 hours to function properly so go to bed early.
2) Leave a couple of hours between eating and going to bed. It will help you reap the maximum benefits of a good night’s sleep.
3) Power down to recharge! Blue light from screens can disrupt your circadian rhythm and affect your ability to sleep. Turn off your mobile devices before you head to bed.
4) Make your bedroom all about sleep! A comfortable mattress, pillow, and bedding will help you get a good night’s sleep. Keep your room dark and use cool paint colours for the walls.
5) Create a bedtime ritual. Make deep breathing, stretches and other relaxing exercises part of your pre-slumber ritual, to wind down and help get your mind ready for sleep. Why not light a relaxing aromatherapy candle as part of this wind down time such as our Retreat candle with lavender, clary sage and vetivert for deep relaxtion.
6) Put your troubles aside and drift away. Keep a piece of paper next to your bed and write down any worries of the day before putting your head down to sleep. You’ll sleep better!
7) Sleep is important for everything – Remember to account for Daylight Saving Time and get in to healthy habits now before Sunday 27th March. Spring forward towards better sleep!
You can find out more on https://sleepfoundation.org/